The UK Retail Road Fuels Market 2017
UK Gasoline and Diesel Sales
Total road fuels - 47.2bn litres
Broken down into:
- Petrol - 16.8bn litres (Retail)
- Diesel - 20.9bn litres (Retail)
- Diesel - 9.5bn litres (Commercial)
Source - HMRC Receipts
UK Forecourt breakdown by ownership
Oil Company Sites = 1,306 - 1 vs 2016
Independent, = 5,566 - 155 vs 2016
Hypermarket = 1,553 + 105 38 vs 2016
Total = 8,425
Source - Experian Catalist
At the end of 2017 there were:
A total of 31,692 million licensed cars in the UK
- 18.8 million of which are petrol cars (59.7%)
- 12.5 million of which are diesel cars (39.1%)
- 322,600 are hybrid electric cars (1%)
- 36,000 are gas, bi-fuel, petrol/gas or gas-diesel cars (0.1%)
- 34,100 are electric cars (0.1%)
- 400 cars are accounted for as other types of propulsion
- The number of licensed petrol cars continues to fall, having dropped by nearly 2 million cars since 2010, although the speed of decline has slowed in recent years.
- Diesel license figures continue to rise, with nearly 4 million more diesel cars on the road than in 2010.
- The number of hybrid electric cars continues to grow, more than doubling since 2013.
- Licensed gas cars are beginning to drop more suddenly, with 15,000 less gas propelled cars than in 2011.
- The electric car market is rapidly expanding, more than doubling in the past 2 years.
Source - Department of Transport
The Retail Motor Industry represents the interests of operators in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man providing sales and services to motorists and businesses. The RMI has a formal association with the independent Scottish Motor Trade Association which represents the retail motor industry in Scotland.